As we all know that for past so many years we have been using hardware synthesizers and Samplers in creating music. But now the time have changed, we all mostly opt for software synth / Samplers ( better know as VSTi, DXi, RTAS and REWIRE Modules etc. ).
- The advantage of a software plugin is that it can be upgraded or modified over the period of time to keep pace with the technology, whereas hardware synth / sampler gets out dated over time and there is no resale value also.
- If your system ( Computer ) is giving trouble or not working, you can install the plugin on a different system and keep working while your first system gets repaired; whereas if your hardware synth / Sampler is not working you become helpless and have to wait till you get it repaired ( its difficult to obtain specific parts also ).
- It is a difficult job to carry all your rigs ( Samplers, Synthesizer, sound modules, mixer & cables etc.) to studio or any other place and make all cable connections to start working on the project. Whereas you can carry all your plugins ( VSTi, Dxi, RTAS & Rewire Modules etc. ) within your laptop or computer itself.
- FREE Hardware synth / Samplers are not available, whereas you get many FREE Vsti and Dxi plugins for download. Hence your number of virtual instruments can increase without increasing your cost.
- Quality of your software synth / samplers depend on you audio interface, So you can always upgrade to a higher quality sound card for better results. Whereas Hardware quality is dependent on its native circuitry and components used which cannot be upgraded.